Hello dear readers! As I am unable to host a ritual at Witch in the World’s Cottage for May’s full moon, I thought I would give you this ritual that you can perform in your own groups or even as a solitary practitioner. Feel free to use all or any of the components given here. Change it up! Make it your own! And Enjoy! Happy Manifesting!
The Flower Moon is about expansion, blooming, bursting forth with life and color and beauty. It is a time of awakening, turning outward, expanding energies.
In preparation for this ritual, set yourself an intention which will be the focal point for the magickal working of this ritual. This should be some area of your life where you want grand, quick, explosive, expansive growth. Do you want your business to boom? Or your love life to be suddenly action packed? Would you like to have sudden prolific creativity for your art or work? Think it over a bit and discover what specific are of your life needs expansion.
Now you will prepare a talisman to be used in ritual. I used rocks on which I painted flowers, but be creative! Think of a talisman that is representative of the energies of blooming flowers and have it (or them) ready before your ritual. As you choose and create the talisman, think about your specific intention.
Make your altar and ritual space flowery and colorful. If you include worship of god and goddess in your rituals, choose representations of them for your altar, like candles or statues or images.
Create Sacred Space!
There are many ways to do this. Without going into excruciating detail, I’ll share my usual process.
1. Cleansing and clearing the space: I will typically smudge and use consecrated water and salt mixture to sprinkle around the space, as well as incense and a candle representing the light of spirit. This consecrates the space with the elemental energies.
2. Cast a circle. There innumerable incantations which can be used to do this. Visualize a space around you and your company that is intended to protect, and shield as well as to contain the energies and powers raised during the working.
3. Call quarters. I tend to call guardians from the four cardinal directions, invoking the elementals that correspond.
4. Invoke Deity. Bring in the generic god and goddess or the god and goddess of your choosing. Always invoke with respect and gratitude. I usually light a candle for each to represent their presence in circle.
5. The working! I designed this particular working specifically for May’s Flower Moon. Place your talisman or group of talismans in a bowl on the altar. At the right moment you are going to direct the energy that you’ve raised into the talismans.
And you will be raising that energy by Blooming!
Here’s how? If you are in a group, form a spiral in the center of the circle. This should be a very tight spiral, like a bud, everyone’s head is bowed. Link your arms together, close in shoulder to shoulder, as close as you can get.
The acting high priestess should be on the outside end and will read the following visualization. But this is not a calm, serene, meditative visualization. This should generate energy, beginning with a certain amount of tension between the participants as they stand shoulder to shoulder. I chose to set this to a karaoke version of “Right Now” by Van Halen. It had the right tempo and the right rise of the energy of the song. It also begins with a piano that sounds a bit like rain. But choose whatever music works for you.
During the “blooming” think about flowers bursting into bloom – high speed, one after the other – every beat of the music will be another bloom – until – when the high priestess says “Right NOW! BLOOM!” everyone takes a step back, opening the spiral and raising arms to the sky, placing all the energy into the cone that forms at the top of the circle. As the priestess is reading this, her voice is rising in excitement and volume until it is practically a scream by the end.
The high priestess will then use a sword, athame, wand or her fingers to collect that energy and direct it into the bowl of talismans.
If you are performing this ritual as a sole practitioner, you’ll have to read through the visualization several times before the ritual and practice running through the scenario in your mind’s eye, until you feel confident that you can raise energy with it. You would simply crouch down and make yourself small, arms folded, head down, until the right cue in the music comes and then you stand and bloom as above.
The Music Starts..
“ It’s raining. You’re in a field of green. Vast, endless green, leaves, stems and buds, ready to bloom. You actually feel the pressure of growth around you. You become aware that you are one of them, one of these wildflowers. Your roots, delicate but strong, stretch and intertwine into the ground.
You can feel the nutrients drawn up from the earth to your stem, to your bud. The tension and energy is building. The rain has stopped and the clouds are clearing now. The warmth of the sun beats down on you… enticing your bud to open.
You are at the ready – with an urgent need to burst forth in color, in brilliance. You notice some of the green field in the distance changing.
Sudden color begins to transform the field. One flower after another explodes open with it’s beautiful petals encouraging the bloom next to it. The full spectrum of colors is represented here… the rainbow, the bursting open spreads towards you.
Each bloom more vivid than the one before… closer to you. Continue seeing the flowers bloom!
Every beat of the music is another bursting forth of color! And another …. And another!! … they keep coming. You look to the other side of the field and see the color and blooming spreading there as well.
The power of the sun and the earth and the energy of this full moon are coursing through you… stronger and stronger. It’s so hard to contain!
Another bloom and another … nearer they come….
All you need is the energy of a close-by bloom to fulfill your purpose… they keep blooming … closer and closer, a red, a yellow one – a brilliant blue, a purple so bright it hurts your eyes… one bloom another!
Another Closer to you and Closer . . . see each one in your mind’s eye – how beautiful… how much you long to become – to open – to LIVE in the Sunshine! …
until finally…. RIGHT NOW! BLOOM!
The priestess now gathers the energy raised and directs it into the talismans. When she gives the sign that this is done, each practitioner is invited to take their talisman.
6. After the working, in my tradition, is the celebration of the Great Rite. But this can be a celebration of any kind you like. This is a time for joy and confidence in the work that you’ve done. You must contain within yourself a solid belief that your magick is powerful and is successful. This is also a time for some form of exaltation of the god and goddess.
7. Cakes & Ale. At this time I usually pass around cakes and ale (or cookies and wine or fruits and champagne, whatever you like and think is appropriate). These are shared among all the practitioners as a final celebration.
8. Bidding farewell to the god and goddess and the elemental energies that were invoked. They are usually dismissed in the opposite order in which they were invoked. Last in, first out, etc.
9. Opening circle. Again, this can be done in many different ways. The idea is that the sacred space that you have built should be taken up again, as though cleaning up after yourself.
And there you have it. The Flower Moon! Use it as you like and may your magick be powerful!
Please feel free to put questions in the comments at the bottom of this post if you have any!
Note: all sources for pictures are linked to the images except for the author’s original photography.